2 avr. 2011

A Lunchtime Lecture, March 31, 2011

EVENTS. The UWI, Open Campus, in collaboration with the Central Bank of Barbados presents a University in the Community Lunch-time Lecture by Dr. Kahiudi Claver Mabana, Senior Lecturer in French. Dr. Mabana will deliver on the topic: "The Dialogue between Africa and the Caribbean: A View from an African Scholar living in the Caribbean" on Thursday, March 31 from 12 noon - 1:15 pm at the Grande Salle, Central Bank of Barbados. (www.cavehill.uwi.edu/news/ecalendar/event.asp?id=648) What can I say to that? The lecture went well. There were around 30 - 35 auditors. In general I was happy with the outcome of the presentation and the discussion. I acknowledged the encouraging presence of my colleagues Toni Philipp, Bernadette Farquhar and Terrence Inniss in the audience. There were people from different areas of activities: Reverend Buddy Larrier, some Rastafarians and other scholars in history, culture or arts. The lecture actually was about my personal experience of the Caribbean since the time I met Arnold Francis from Antigua in Rome to my fatherhood of two Barbadian twins born here - and who have never seen the Congo - about whom I asked if they were Bajan as well. Using a lot of anecdotes, I spoke from a very personal view of the language, the culture, the attitudes of people, the consequences of slavery and colonialism on the Black mentality, the encounters with famous figures of the Caribbean world such as Aimé Césaire or Dereck Walcott, my involvement in activities linking Africa and the Caribbean such the African-Caribbean Film Festival, the French section colloquia, etc. Unfortunately, time was short to address the theoretical issues of antillanité, creolization, créolité. I did not dare to talk on political aspects or historical issues like the concepts of reparation, globalization. But I generally spoke of the challenges facing both Africa and the Caribbean, suggesting to work together more on what we share than on what divides us. On the other hand I insisted on the fact I conceive my work and my presence in the Caribbean as a chance for a fruitful dialogue between Africa and its Diaspora. I am convinced that I am entrusted a mission here, as poet Aimé Césaire acknowledged it in his meaningful dedication: "To Claver Mabana, to thank him for letting our Mother Africa known to the world and to her forgotten children." (Aimé Césaire, November 23, 2005)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire