29 janv. 2019

Sarah Sutrina in memoriam

January 20, 2019. On the day of my return to Barbados happened something strange in the Cave Hill Community. One of the most distinguished member was found dead in her car far away from campus. American Senior Lecturer Sarah Sutrina, an extremly discrete and quiet person, was retired two years ago but continued her research in microbiology for a second doctorate, as I heard. A friend told me she was experimenting something in the laboratory when she left campus that night. What happened exactly? Was she kidnapped? Nobody knows. Police investigations are still undergoing.
According to surveys or recent records, Barbados has had in this first month of 2019 more crimes than Trinidad and Tobago. That is tremendously scary for a country, which has been always considered as a place of peace and security.
I knew Dr Sutrina from the first year I joined UWI. It is actually Prof Mahdi who introduced us to each other. At the time I chaired the Cave Hill Film Society she was a trustful member. She used to regularly attend the screenings. She never asked a question, just smiled softly to greetings. Any colleague or student would remember Sarah as a hard worker, a woman of principles who never used her car at day time. I also used to see her swimming at Batts Rock Beach. Even this morning I thaught of her swimming on the same side of the beach.
May her soul rest in peace.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire