13 janv. 2024

Rest In Peace Suzette

Yesterday I received the following message:

" Claver, sorry to send sad news. I know you were an adviser for Sonia Williams. Sadly , Sonia passed away on Saturday 6th." (Margaret Gill).

I knew Sonia S. Williams from the beginning of my stay in Barbados. A bright Barbadian woman who spent some years in Nigeria. She was an artist, a scholar, a playwright, a writer and a feminist. I used to exchange a lot with her. She would come to my office just to discuss some issues with me. She worked at EBCCI (Errol Barrow Centre for Creative Imagination) as a lecturer in theater, dance and performing. She wrote and directed many plays, for which she received local, regional and international  awards. Her tremendous  contribution to African and Caribbean Culture will be remembered. What I will never forget, is that Suzette, as I used to call her, showed commitment and  great passion for what she did. She was plenty of energy and had plenty projects. Suzette was her second given name. I preferred it because it reminded me of Victor Hugo's character in "Suzette et Suzon". She was not really an advisee to me as Dr Gill wrote, she was a friend. Last time I saw her, it was at EBCCI  after a lecture on African culture. I even drove her back to her place. We used to exchange on Messenger but our conversations stopped at some point in time... I however continued seeing her activities on Facebook. My heartfelt condolences to her children, her dear ones and relatives. Eternal Felicity!

Rest In Peace Suzette. 



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire