1 nov. 2013

The Venerable Reverend James Levi Springer (1935-2013)

Barbados, October 31, 2013. Yesterday I attended the funerals of the Late Venerable Rev. James Springer at St. Leonard Church. May his soul rest in peace! I am writing because it was the first funerals of an Anglican Priest I have ever seen. An impressive ceremony presided by Bishop Dr. John Holder accompanied by at least hundred con-celebrants of the Diocese of Barbados. I did not know him personally but I went there because Rev. Springer was the uncle of Sangene Diagne-Watkins' mother. There were many official figures and people I know. The Governor General of Barbados was present. The ceremony was similar, if not the same, to the Catholic mass. The same dignity and splendid decorum. The same creed and communion. The only difference was the presence of female priests.
The sermon by Bishop Holder underlined the hard work and dedication shown by this humble Servant of the Lord, who served the Church of Barbados as Priest since his ordination in 1961 to his death as a retired Rural Dean and Arch-priest.
"I am the Resurrection and the Life" (John 11:25)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire