13 juin 2015

At the Cambridge University Main Library

June 13. This trip to the UK has been funny from its beginning. Things happened inappropriately. I first forgot to take my laptop with only because I changed my initial idea to use a tablet. I removed the tablet from the suitcase and forgot to put in the laptop or to take the laptop bag. Changing mind at last minute is sometimes not the right thing. I then said to myself: "Never mind. It is just one week." But I did not realise to what extend a laptop or a tablet have become essential parts of my daily activities. In London I used my niece Grace's laptop to powerpoint my presentation. During the conference I was totally disconnected from the world, inefficient and lost. If I now write in English, it is only because all the computer I can use for this purpose are English. Writing in French would be like a nightmare right now. But in the end, I am a survivor. It is how I define myself despite my inconvenient disorganization. I am writing this blog article from the Cambridge University Main Library. Yesterday I registered. The staff was extremely helpful. I really appreciated that. I was photographed, provided with an ID card, a login number, even with a wi-fi code. The library is impressive. The first thing I did was to deliver at the entrence 6 poetry collections donated by Nlandu Mamingi to the Library. Then I looked for some material I cannot access from Barbados. To my pleasure I discovered they have my book Du mythe a la litterature.... The amazing part is that this library helped me complete my own CV. In 2011 I contributed to the publication of a collective book: Litteratures africaines: langues et ecritures edited by Apey E. Lete and Mahougnon Kakpo, Cotonou: Les Diasporas. My book chapter was titled: "L'art de l'enigme dans Fantasmagories de Jean-Baptiste Taty-Loutard". When I heard that the book was published, I asked for a copy. None of the editors could answer me and it was impossible to purchase it. Stuck in the African Desert of Sahara, I then emailed a linguist friend Coffi of Abomey-Calavi University to contact Kakpo for me; but this one refused to give the reference of my book chapter. The reason being that they actually did not agree on money issues. Apey never answered either although we had planned a series of collaboration activities. It is only yesterday that I ordered and saw the book for the first time. Since I never heard from the editors, I republished the paper in Du mythe a la litterature in 2013. Again, back to work. I have two more hours to go through the library treasures. It is a real pleasure working at this wonderful centre of knowledge.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire