8 juin 2014

Passing of Maya Angelou (1928-2014)

3 June 2014, North Carolina. The Black world is saddened by the passing of Maya Angelou, a valued and celebrated woman writer.  Angelou was an African American who dedicated her entire  life to the fate of her people and her country. I happened to know her through my interest for Black World  literature. An impressive artist in the full sense of the term, Angelou was a fighter and a winner because she had a  strong faith and a deep conviction in her own self. She was unbeatable. Her poem titled " Still I Rise "serves as a fighting slogan that inspires so many people of African descent across the US and the world. To paraphrase philosopher Leonard Harris, I can state that  Angelou's creative writing was and still is a Writing Born of Struggle. I don't find better than to call her a Master of the Word and an African Queen:

''You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may tread me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.''
 
Mighty Queen Maya, from now on enjoy the eternal peace of the Almighty! And rise... and rise...

1 commentaire:

  1. Dear Claver, if you have or can find more comments, readings or piece of literature on Maya Angelou, please send them to me as my office colleague, a student in English Literature at ISP/Bukave is preparing his research paper on her. Arthur J. MUNGWASI

    RépondreSupprimer