21 mai 2017

Adjusted Abstract of my Presentation at TC2


This presentation is not really academic, but a testimony of a translation experience. It is a strictly personal reflection on what I can call a life experience of translating. From early primary school to university level I have been exposed to many languages where many translation techniques were constantly practiced. Kiyaka, Kisuku, Kikongo, Kipelende along with French were the first languages I alternatively practiced. 
I did Latin and English at Kalonda minor seminary, then German, Italian, Greek and Hebrew at tertiary level at Mayidi and Urbaniana, Rome. As a seminarian I participated in the translation of the Catholic French Missal into Kikongo Fukimina Mfumu, which was published from 1986 on by the late Fr. Nicolas Berends. In Rome a book written in English titled New Testament Greek was used for Greek lessons whereas the course was held in Italian. When I worked in Kenge (DR Congo) in the 80ies, I used to interpret speeches from French, German, English into Kikongo and vice-versa. Later in Switzerland, I used to proofread confidential texts submitted to me by a German association, which advised people in difficulty. My job was to make sure that the French version corresponded to the German original. At UWI Barbados, I co-taught for two years the course of translation. As head of department, I put some weight in the organization of the present UWI Translation Bureau and I encouraged the initiative of TC taken by my colleague Dr Bogle.
My presentation draws some reflections from these experiences. Since it is on ongoing process the aim is to retrace what can be learnt out of this constant practice of translation. Not only the professional translator practices translation but also everyone who shifts from one language to another. Even from Bajan, Creole or Patois to English, Spanish, Portuguese or French.   
.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire