17 mars 2017

Derek Walcott in memoriam

March 18, 2017. Acclaimed Caribbean poet Derek Walcott has passed away in his eighty-seventh year of life. The St Lucian Nobel Prize Winning playwright who made the pride of the West Indies across the world is no longer with us. May his soul rest in peace! I seize this opportunity to express my deepest condolences to the people of St Lucia and the Caribbean for the loss of one of their best literary icons, along with Césaire, Naipaul. My sympathy goes to his dear ones, especially to my colleague and friend Elizabeth and family.
I had the privilege to meet Derek Walcott at the conference celebrating the bicentenary of the Haitian Revolution, June 5-18, 2004 at the St Augustine Campus, Trinidad and Tobago. I should have somewhere a picture I made of him with Edwidge Danticat during a common reading session. Unfortunately those kinds of things disappear precisely when you need them. At the end of the 2004 conference Walcott directed scenes of the The Haitian Earth as part of the closing ceremonies.  I recently happened to know that we he was not well as we thought to invite him as guest speaker to the upcoming African Association for Theatre Conference  to be held in July 2017 at Cave Hill.
Respect and honour to this brave son of the West Indies!
  

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire